RTI activists who were killed in India

Some of the RTI soldiers who were killed in India.

RTI Activists Who Were Killed In India

On 5 November 2011, Nadeem Saiyed of Ahmedabad was brutally killed by being hacked to death and stabbed twenty five times. He filed about 40 RTIs with the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) between 2006 and 2009, asking questions on illegal cow slaughter and beef trade in the state. They related to “rules and regulations about slaughter houses and the various actions it had taken to enforce these” or water supply and sanitation in Juhapura. He was also a key witness to the Naroda Patiya massacre during the 2002 Gujarat riots.

On 16 August 2011, Shehla Masood of Bhopal was shot at point blank range in broad daylight as she was getting into her car. She raised issues related to wildlife and forest conservation, against collusion between officials on trading of animal skins and had filed RTIs asking details about Narmada Samagraha, an NGO backed by a BJP Rajya Sabha MP. Known as a hardworking lady, she has been part of several movements and was a well-known activist.

On 2 March 2011, Niyamat Ansari, a NREGA activist, was beaten to death by unidentified persons after he was dragged out of his house at Jerua village in Latehar district of Jharkhand. Mr Ansari had exposed corruption in the NREGA by contractors through the RTI Act and based on his complaints three persons, including Block Development Officer Kailash Sahu were arrested for defalcation of funds.

27 August 2010, RTI activist Ramdas Ghadegavkar (43 years) was killed allegedly for exposing corruption in public distribution system (PDS) and sand mafia in Nanded, Maharashtra.On 25 July 2010, a Uttar Pradesh police home guard identified as Babbu Singh was killed allegedly for seeking information about government funds and work done by his village pradhan (chief) at Katghar village in Bahraich district of Uttar Pradesh.

On 20 July 2010, two unidentified assailants shot dead Amit Jethwa, RTI and environment activist, near the Gujarat High Court. Mr Jethwa, who was the president of Gir Nature Youth Club, had filed several petitions against the Forest Department and also filed a public interest litigation (PIL) on illegal mining in the Gir forests of Junagadh district.

On 22 May 2010, Dattatray Patil was killed allegedly for exposing various malpractices and siphoning off public funds at Ichalkaranji in Kolhapur district, Maharashtra.

On 20 April 2010, RTI activist Vitthal Gite (39 years) was killed allegedly for exposing irregularities in a school at Waghbet village in Beed district of Maharashtra.

On 11 April 2010, Sola Ranga Rao was killed allegedly for seeking information about fund meant for a pipeline at Sitarampuram village in Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh.

On 26 February 2010, RTI activist Arun Sawant was killed allegedly for fighting administrative corruption in Thane in Maharashtra.

On 14 February 2010, Shashidhar Mishra was killed for exposing several scams in welfare schemes through the RTI Act at Phulwaria village under Bararuni-Phulwaria police station in Begusarai district in Bihar.

On 11 February 2010, Vishram Laxman Dodiya of Ahmedabad in Gujarat was found murdered shortly after meeting officials of Torrent Power Company. The deceased had filed an application under RTI Act to get details about the illegal electricity connection obtained by the company.

On 13 January 2010, RTI activist Satish Shetty (38 years) who exposed many land scams at Talegaon Dabhade was killed near Pune, Maharashtra.

Shetty had used the RTI Act to expose large scale land scams involving the leading real estate firm IRB Infrastructure and its subsidiary Aryan. In 2009, he filed a complaint that forged documents had been used by these firms to acquire large swathes of land in the Taje and Pimploli villages off the Pune-Mumbai highway. After investigations, 90 sale deeds were cancelled, and sub-registrar Ashwini Kshirsagar was suspended. The company blamed land brokers for the irregularities, and the planned IRB township project was eventually scrapped.

After this episode, Shetty started getting threat calls. In November 2009, he filed a request with the Pune rural police seeking protection.[6] In the request, he said that he had been receiving threats allegedly originating with Virendra Mhaiskar, chairman of IRB Infrastructure. Protection was not granted. In January 2010, Shetty was knifed by several people while he was at a kiosk reading a paper after his morning walk.

Shashidhar Mishra (1975–2010) was an RTI activist who was shot dead by unknown assailants near his house in Phulwaria Village, located near the Begusarai town of Bihar, on the night on 14 February 2010. By profession, he was street vendor who sold pens, sweets and snacks in Barauni market. He lived in a mud house in his village and used a bicycle for transport. He is survived by a wife and four children. He earned the nickname of "Khabri Lal" (the news man) and worked tirelessly to expose corruption at panchayat and block levels. He filed his first RTI application in 2008 and by the time he died he had filed more than 1,000 RTI applications, mostly concerning issues troubling his village. The National RTI Forum has honored him by naming an award after him, the Shashidhar Mishra RTI Gallantry award.

Lalit Mehta (1972–2008) was an RTI activist, who was killed brutally near Palamau on May 14, 2008. He was a prominent member of The Right to Food Campaign, working in the Vikas Sahyog Kendra in Palamau District and was using his Right to information to expose scams in National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA). The Jharkhand government looking into strong protests and public rally held in Ranchi later ordered a CBI probe into murder.

After his murder, the naxals belonging Communist Party of India (Maoist) distributed a leaflet claiming that they know the killers of Lalit Mehta and they will be brought to justice saying that we will make the perpetrators of heinous crimes such as murder pay with their lives, which created a flutter among rank and file of police and government. Later in January 2009, Ranchi Police recovered body of one Raju Singh, who was prime accused in murder of Lalit Mehta, claiming that he was killed by naxals. Lalit Mehta is survived by a wife and two sons. National RTI Forum has honored his martyrdom by naming an award after him as Lalit Mehta RTI Gallantry award.